International Trauma Life Support (ITLS)
2 Day ITLS Course
ITLS courses are designed for providers who are first to evaluate and stabilise the trauma patient. The course provides complete training in the skills needed for rapid assessment, resuscitation, stabilisation and transportation of trauma patients.
The course is intended for participants who provide critical care in the pre-hospital and emergency department settings, 1st responders, EMT’s, Paramedic and Nurses.
The ITLS course provides the core of knowledge and skills appropriate for all levels of EMS personnel, including EMT-B’s, First responders and other technicians.
ITLS Advanced course builds on this knowledge, emphasising evaluation steps and sequencing as well as techniques for resuscitating and packaging patients.
Hands-on stations include:
- Patient assessment and management
- Basic and advanced airway management
- Needle chest decompression and fluid resuscitation
- Spinal motion restriction – rapid extrication, short backboard, helmet management, rug roll and long back board/scoop stretcher utilisation
- Extremity immobilisation and traction splint application
The instructor/student ratio per course is 1:8
Assessment & Preparation:
Course applicants will receive a manual for pre-study purposes each candidate will receive an ITLS ® certificate valid for three years.
Accredited by the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) and the National Association of EMS Physicians (NAEMSP). In addition to 25 Continuing Education Units via the HPCSA.