Basic Life Support Instructor
2 Day BLS Instructor Course
The Basic Life Support (BLS) Instructor Course is designed to prepare BLS instructors to disseminate the science, skills and philosophy of resuscitation programs to participants enrolled in BLS & Heart saver Courses.
The American Heart Association Instructor Course is video-intensive and CD directed. It provides a model of the behaviours that each module teaches; the course is highly interactive, requiring candidates to make decisions, engage in dialogue and reflect on what constitutes quality instruction; the course takes at least 8-hours to complete.
The Discipline Specific Module Course (DSM) is a full day learning experience facilitated by a BLS Faculty Member. The Basic Life Support for Healthcare Provider course is a prerequisite for this course and provides many opportunities for application and practice of instruction, skills teaching and assessment.
Within three months of attending the DSM course, the instructor candidate must independently organise and present an American Heart Association Course during which he/she will be monitored by the BLS Faculty Member to audit performance, knowledge and skills.
After successful monitoring, the instructor candidate is registered with the Resuscitation Council of Southern Africa as a BLS and/or Heart saver Instructor, capable of teaching American Heart Association & Resuscitation Council CPR and Basic Life Support Courses
Accredited by American Heart Association (AHA)
- Instructor candidates must hold a valid AHA BLS for Healthcare Provider Certificate
- Instructor candidates must be linked to a recognised Basic Life Support Training Centre
- Instructor candidates must achieve at least 84% on the written examination
- Instructor candidates must be monitored within 3-months of the Instructor Course
- Instructor candidates must be prepared to attend a formal update, and/or be re-monitored every two years